Our second “Feed the Hungry Soup Drive” will take place on Tuesday, January 24th in Chicago’s Wicker Park. Please help by donating $2.50 for a cup of soup to feed hungry people in these cold winter months.
The first True Herban Clothing “Feed the Hungry Soup Drive” went over with great success. We were able to feed 30-40 hungry people in Chicago’s Wicker Park on a cold winter night. With the help of New Leaf Natural Grocery who donated all the ingredients (which were mostly organic or locally grown) and The Night Ministry’s Health Outreach bus, we were able to hold a great event, with a great purpose! Check out the recipe for the True Herban Chowder by Chef Alan below, and even see a video of him putting the finishing touches on his soup here.
True Herban Chowder
Ingredients Needed: (serves 5-8 people)
4 oz. BEELER’S Hickory Smoked Organic Bacon (if left out, substitute with 8 oz. butter)
8 oz. Whole Unsalted Butter
2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
5 lbs. Potatoes, peeled small dice
1 Large Onion or 2 Medium Onions
5 stalks Celery, small dice
5 BUNNY-LUV Organic Carrots, small dice
1 lb. SNO PAC Organic Peas
1 lb. Wild Harvest Organic Sweet Corn
½ lb. Broccoli
1 Qt. Organic Chicken Broth (Vegetable Broth May be Substituted
1 Qt. KILGUS FARMSTEAD Whole Milk
2 Pts. Heavy Cream
- Place Bacon in minimum 2 QT. Pot and cook until bacon becomes crispy and fat renders.
- Remove Bacon and set aside.
- Add Butter.
- Once butter is melted, add onions, celery and potatoes.
- Season mixture with Salt & Pepper
- Keep pot on medium heat until onions are translucent and potatoes are soft.
- Add Flour and mix thoroughly.
- Add Chicken Broth, mix thoroughly and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and simmer for 10-15 minute until broth is a gravy-like consistency.
- Remove mixture from pot into blender and puree for 30 seconds until smooth.
- Transfer mixture into new pot and repeat until done.
- Add Carrots, Corn, Broccoli, Peas and Bacon.
- In separate pan, heat milk slightly until bubbles start to form and add to soup pot.
- Add Heavy Cream
- Check Seasoning and adjust with Salt & Pepper if desired.